Hello, my dear friends! This season is for zucchini. Make the most of it in this light and summery salad where it’s just barely wilted. The splendor of this pasta recipe is in the contrast of textures and flavors. Brightened up with a hit of fresh lemon juice and studded with green peas, the salad features accoutrements that are delicate enough to let the pasta shine. This 20-minute lunch can be prepared in advance and is easily portable, just keep it refrigerated until mealtime. Enjoy it warm, chilled, or at room temperature for a satisfying, fiber-filled main.
Ingredients (4 – serving size: 1 cup):
2/3 cup frozen peas
2 medium zucchini
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (plus 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice)
1/2 teaspoon kosher
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Small fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions (omitting salt) and add peas for the last 6 minutes.
2. Drain and cool for 10 minutes. Place pasta and peas in a medium bowl.
3. Using a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini into ribbons.
4. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
5. Remove from heat. Add zucchini and stir constantly until zucchini is slightly softened, about 1 minute.
6. Add zucchini mixture to tortellini mixture in bowl.
7. Combine rind, juice, salt, pepper and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Drizzle over tortellini mixture.
8. Toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with basil, if desired.