Hello, my friends! Today I’ll share a very special recipe with you. It’s kid-friendly, suitable for parties, easy-cooked and very delicious. Personaly, I decided to post this recipe because eggplant, which is the basic ingredient of this recipe, is one of my favorite vegetables. So, here we go!
Ingredients (serves 6):
3 medium eggplants
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 ½ cups vegetarian barbecue sauce
coleslaw, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Place the eggplant on a non-stick baking sheet and prick all over with a fork.
3. Bake for 20 minutes, until the skin is wrinkled. Reduce the oven temperature to 80°C.
4. Transfer the eggplant to a large bowl and cover. Let cool and sweat for 10-15 minutes, until the skin peels off easily, and they are cool enough to handle.
5. Trim the stems from the eggplant and remove the skin completely. Tear the eggplant flesh into thin strips and set aside.
6. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and pepper and mix well.
7. Add the eggplant strips to a non-stick baking sheet and sprinkle with the spice mix. Mix well with your hands to coat.
8. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the ends of the eggplant strips start to dry out.
9. Increase the oven temperature to 120°C.
10. Pour the barbecue sauce over the eggplant and toss well to coat.
11. Bake for 15 minutes more, until the sauce has been absorbed by the eggplant.
12. Pile the eggplant on the buns and top with coleslaw, if desired.