Believe me, this vegan breakfast won’t disappoint you. It’s full of flavor and easily freezable. There are only two components of this burrito: the tofu and the vegan breakfast hash. The homemade sauce for the tofu is so creamy and flavorful that you don’t even need condiments. This sauce is what we are cooking the tofu in. All you’ll need is: enchilada sauce, roasted cashews, salsa and nutritional yeast.
The tofu is soft in this recipe, so the crunch of the roasted potatoes adds extra chewiness and texture.
It’s a perfect protein packed breakfast. I really can’t do the flavor justice by my words. It has SO much flavor that it is just insane.
Don’t forget to froze the remainder of them for easy breakfasts. Just wrap the prepared burritos in tin foil and place them in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Depending on your microwave, it should heat in around 2-4 minutes.
I’m unbelievably excited to share this recipe with you today! So, let’s go!
1 batch of Simple Vegan Breakfast Hash (see below)
14 oz extra firm tofu
8 oz enchilada sauce
1 cup roasted salted cashews
1/2 cup medium spicy chunky salsa
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
8 large whole wheat tortillas
1. Make one batch of simple vegan breakfast hash according to instructions.
2. In a high speed blender, blend together enchilada sauce, cashews, salsa and nutritional yeast until completely smooth.
3. Drain tofu and pat dry.
4. Add tofu to a large skillet and use a potato masher to scramble it until it resembles egg like texture.
5. Heat tofu to medium high and add the the sauce from the blender, lime juice, and salt.
6. Cook tofu for 10 – 15 minutes, or until tofu starts to become a little less soft.
7. Assemble burritos using the tofu, chopped cilantro, and then a scoop of hash.
8. Serve immediately or freeze (see post for instructions).
Extras: Simple Vegan Breakfast Hash
15 mins, 45 mins,
For the Potatoes
3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
For the skillet mixture
1 medium onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, finely diced or minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
sprinkle of sea salt & pepper
1. Combine diced potatoes with spices and ¼ cup of olive oil, mix well.
2. Bake in a glass casserole dish at 450 degrees for 40-50 minutes, checking and stirring ever 20 minutes, until crispy.
3. Use a spatula to unstick potatoes from the pan each time you stir.
4. Sautee onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper in a skillet. Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until browned.
5. Once potatoes are crispy, remove from oven and stir in the garlic and onion skillet mixture until combined.
6. Serve alone, or use as filling in this vegan breakfast burrito recipe.
© Joy Shull