Baklava is a very popular dessert in Greece. It’s made of layers of filo, filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with honey. I tried to make a healthy version of this yummy sweet treat: I used no sugar or butter and I filled the rolls with super-foods. They turned out great and we enjoyed them a lot. They’re crunchy, aromatic, rich and scrumptious.
Ingredients (for 32 Baklava Rolls):
8 filo dough for pastries
60 gr. walnuts
80 gr. hazelnuts
60 gr. pistachios
60 gr. goji berries
100 gr. raisins
80 gr. cranberries
40 gr. chia seeds
3 Tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp clove powder
90 gr. water
660 gr. honey
1. In a blender pulse walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts and goji berries until coarsely chopped! Place these ingredients in a bowl.
2. In a blender pulse dates, raisins and cranberries until chopped.
3. Add them in the bowl along with chia seeds, cinnamon, clove powder and stir to combine. Set aside.
4. Unroll a filo sheet and cut into 4 even squares. At the edge of each piece put a 3 tsp of the nut mixture leaving a small gap from both sides.
6. Wrap both sides inwards and roll it up. Put the edges inside and roll it up again.
7. Place Baklava Rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush them with sesame oil and bake in preheated oven at 180 ℃ for 15 minutes.
8. Place the rolls on another baking sheet and allow to cool. Cook honey with water on a medium heat.
9. When combined, and you have a nice syrup, pour it over cool Baklava Rolls.
10. Let them cold several hours before serving.
Source: The Veggie Sisters