Some might wonder what Bohemian style is. Although it embraces a sense of flowing liberty in decor choices and can be associated with eclectic style, Bohemian style is more than that. The word “Bohemian” comes from the French word for “gypsy” and it applies to those who live unconventional and usually artistic lives.
Bohemian style evokes a picture of travelers, hippies, artists, gypsies and other “free spirits”. This style is as diverse as the individuals themselves. So, there are no rules! But, the fact is that Bohemian style is a vintage-inspired version of “laissez-faire”. So, the most important rule is to mix the older items with more modern ones with reckless abandon.
So, Bohemian is a distinct sense of style. Do you want to know if your home decoration looks like a truly bohemian abode? Here are ten signs to tell for sure:
1. You know that the only thing that works with pattern is another pattern!
2. Beaded, crochet and patchwork curtains give the perfect bohemian atmosphere in your place!
3. Rugs, Rugs, Rugs!
4. Your spirit isn’t free if it doesn’t belong to Nature! So, you own more plants than furniture!
5. A gypsy spirit has no borders. Τhe same goes for your home! Buddha Statues, Moroccan lanterns and African Masks are details of an Ethnic Decoration Style!
6. With an eye toward variety in color and form, you choose objects that you love and used them to fill every spot in the space.
7. There are plenty of kilim rugs (over-dyed and vintage) and colorful pillows everywhere: on couch, on bed even on the floor. Poufs and stools are also acceptable!
8. You appreciate anything which is handmade. Just as the entire style itself is focused on the sense of unique individuality, handmade items are a perfect component. And you don’t lose any chance to show it!
9. Soft lighting creates a special, comforting atmosphere. This is a key element to show your treasures’ best face in the space!
10. And you never forget: these small details of your treasures make the difference!